SeniorWorks provides podiatric care to nursing homes and other long-term care facilities throughout Arkansas. The Scope of Services when medically necessary encompasses all basic care and maintenance of nails and skin. This involves soft tissue and not bone. It includes but is not limited to:
- Avulsion of nails
- Debridement of nails
- Debridement of ulcers/lesions
- Excisions of nails
- Excisions of lesions
- Incision and Drainage of infections
Medicare pays for nail care if there is a medical need. Medicare does not pay for common nail trimming unless the patient has diabetes or severe vascular insufficiency. When these systemic illnesses are present, trimming of nails is used and the service is covered. Medicare also pays for treatment of nail infections such as those with fungus or infected with bacteria in ingrown nails. The podiatry program provides:
- Evaluation of all patients through an examination
- Diagnosis and treatment of all foot problems
- Follow up service for consultation and treatment of acute foot problems
- Wound Care Management
- Surgical Consultations
- Quality assurance
- Utilization review
What Are the Benefits
- Visits are scheduled every other month.
- All podiatrists comply with federal and state rules & regulations governing resident care, including OBRA, OSHA, and HIPAA.
- There is a reduced need for hospitalization.
- There is a strong emphasis on prevention.