According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 67% of residents in nursing homes have mental disorders.
In March 2012, CMS launched the “National Initiative to Improve Behavioral Health and Reduce the Use of Antipsychotic Medications in Nursing Home Residents” project. According to the American Geriatrics Society, approximately 40% of nursing home residents are affected by depression in a given year.
To address the various issues surrounding behavioral health in nursing homes residents, SeniorWorks’ has designed an Emotional & Behavioral Health Program. The E&BHP is an integrated program within the facility that provides services that include:
- In service/education for your entire staff.
- Assessment to determine the state of depression; recommend services and the type of needed therapy.
- Psychiatric evaluation including a review of antipsychotic medications.
- Acute assessments and treatment.
- Psychotherapy with the residents, with or without the family. This includes group therapy.
SeniorWorks has taken an integrated approach with a program that addresses the medical and behavioral problems facing the nursing homes population.