How to Transfer or Terminate an Enrollment

One reason for past due payments is when a resident is transferred, expires, or the family member wants to cancel the policy and SCS and Citizens is not notified of the change.

To minimize accounts becoming past due, the SCS office will check with your facility each month or so to get updates on any changes.

Please use the Medicaid Notice of Change Form to notify SCS of any change in a resident’s status in the program.

SCS will notify Citizens and DHS (even though your facility may also notify DHS) of the change that will affect the Medicaid offset for the premium.